Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Hong Kong

I just got to Hong Kong yesterday. I settled a bit in my very budget conscious accommodations (in order to pull of three months, I've gotta live on the cheap), located amidst the hustle and bustle of Nathan Road in Kawloon, just across from Hong Kong Island. Hong Kong reminds me a lot of New York City but with a different set of characters. I think this will prove to be a good starting point for me as it's clearly foreign to me in the general sense but has lots of touches of home, somewhat to my dismay (i.e. Starbucks and McDonalds are ubiquitous).

My body is a bit confused by the time change. Last night I turned in at 18:00 because I was completely wiped out. After dozing off, I woke up and looked at my watch and saw that it was 11:00. Well, for some reason I thought, "oh, time to get up. I slept in pretty late." Unbeknownst to me, my watch settings reverted back to North American setting vs. military. So I proceeded to shower and get ready for the day and, as I was walking out, I caught a glimpse of the moon and thought "what the hell am I doing" and proceeded back to bed. Other than that little mishap, things are great.

Today I checked out the Wong Tai Sin Temple, which is a lovely combination of a Buddhism, Confucianism, and Taoism. Off now to Lantau Island to check on the largest statue of Buddha but, before that, my tummy is growling and could use some dim sum.

No comments: