Saturday, September 27, 2008

Hello Lady Motorbike?




Ah...Hanoi. This is a fantastic city with a ton of charm. I woke up early this morning and started my day at a very quaint french cafe overlooking Hoan Kiem Lake located in the Old Quarter of the city. As this was once a french colony (Indochine) there are many colonial style buildings in that part of the city. After my hour of bliss in the cafe, I set out to explore the city and proceeded to spend the larger part of the day either dodging motorbike traffic (basically to cross anywhere you need to walk out in traffic, hold your breath, and pray that the hordes of motorbikes will part like the red sea) or dodging requests to get a ride on said motorbike. After exploring the Old Quarter ad well as the Temple of Literature, I checked out the traditional water puppetry show, which I loved.

A full day in Hanoi has been interesting and action-packed, however I'm ready to venture out of here and made arrangements to do so. Tomorrow I leave for Halong Bay (which is something I'm most excited about) to sail and overnight upon a junk boat. I'll then come back to Hanoi for 3 hours and then proceed to leave for the mountains of northern Vietnam in Sapa where I'll have a few days hiking there. Once I get back to Hanoi from Sapa, I catch a flight out to Vientiane, Laos and I'm out of here. I like Vietnam so far and know I'll love it once I get out of this frenetic paced city.

No comments: