Sunday, September 21, 2008

Beijing, First Impressions



My initial impression of Beijing was that it is a sprawling metropolis where the pollution is palpable. Seriously, my lungs are burning. However, the city also has some amazing charm and character within that I discovered in the city's hutong (tiny alleyways that run throughout). These areas, which are under threat of being demolished left and right, are where some people in the city live and work. Walking along you'll find them hanging out talking, playing games, eating and just living out their daily lives. Strolling through the hutong has been my favorite part thus far.

I've also checked out the Forbidden City and the Temple of Heaven Park (photo) which are both truly impressive sights. It's a small miracle (in light of Mao's impact on China and his desire to turn the Chinese into "a blank sheet of paper") that such wondrous historical sites still remain. Equally impressive was the Peking duck I had today. After a few days of eating nothing but a mango, Snickers bar, and water I was famished. I went to a restaurant yesterday in an attempt to eat an actual meal. I didn't realize that the chicken dish I ordered was to consist of all the other parts of the chicken (liver, heart and whatever else) and not the actual chicken meat that I'm accustomed to. In an attempt to keep an open mind, I tried a bite. However, one bite was enough and I despondently left the restaurant.


Tomorrow, I'm off to hike the great wall. It's a four hour trek along the least touristy spots (so I'm told). I went to the convenience store to pick up some fuel. I have no idea what it is that I bought. The only things I recognized in the store were Snickers and Oreos, which I didn't want. So I bought a package of nuts (?) that claim to be "very good test", "fashion mirror" whatever the hell that means.




No comments: